Friday, September 18, 2009

how do you catch a cloud and pin it down?



I caught The Sound of Music on TV a week or so ago, right at the bit where Maria's leaving the abbey and pumping herself up to be the best gosh darned governess Captain von Trapp and his gaggle of anklebiters could ever imagine. Julie Andrews as Fraulein Maria has to be the most adorable lady ever pasted onto my television screen. I actually teared up a significant amount right in the middle of her "I Have Confidence!!!! IN ME!!!" routine, because I had realized that:

a) My mom grew up with this movie, and would have been at a somewhat impressionable age when it came out; I'm relatively certain it holds not only a lot of nostalgia or her but some significance for her adolescent attempts to form her sense of identity (she was kind of a quirky kid, no surprise). And:

b) Julie Andrews and my mother have some resemblance to each other, making point (a) more poignant. (It's easier to see in photos where they are of similar ages, but the angle here I thought was good for comparison.)

I never had much of a soft spot for The Sound of Music, but I think that's changed now. Also, I find I have a strong desire to get some Mary Poppins queued up. Brock has never seen it! Can you imagine!

No comments: